Reach for the stars

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Boo

And so it appears that, once again, the only time I have to blog is aboard an airplane. Got a roundtrip ticket with ANA for US1200, and am currently on the Tokyo-Singapore leg of my trip. It has quite decent food; and even serves Hagendaz ice cream which pleases kids to no end. Got a big craving for durian on the flight, and so while I was in Narita, I got my sis to get my parents to bring durian along to the airport LOL. It’s been 1.5 years since I’ve been back, and possibly some time again before I head back again. Would be meeting up with quite a few people this trip back. Days up to weds have been planned and booked already lol.

Read John Grisham’s The Appeal. Typed up Induction notes for SIMO training - Am very excited to be hosting this Saturday’s session. Followed that with watching 3 movies - Changeling and message in the bottle (both of which made me tear) and The Professer and his beloved math equation (a jap show that wasn’t going anywhere with anything). Took quite a few naps too, hopefully I’d be time adjusted and ready to hit the ground running (Well technically, I should be sleepy since I land at midnight)

Have yet to submit my Topo take home final, more or less done with it in the sense of not working on it anymore. But should just glance through it and ensure that things are properly written up. Interesting fact: I was supposed to prove the divergence theorem, but had no idea what it was. Went online and did a search, and apparently found a wrong one (well, it was a corollary) and proved that instead. Luckily Lucas pointed that out to me, and hopefully what I have now works. Spent about 4 days on this final, and am quite proud of it; worked through 2 interesting questions.

Algebra was bad since I have had no freaking clue what has been happening for the past 3 weeks. Sigh. It’s a strange consolation that I’m not going to do a PhD in Math. Well, that’s why. Finance final was better, considering that I spent only 24 hours on it. But then again, as with the midterm, I could have made numerous stupid mistakes without realizing them.

Oh, there goes a PA announcement (in Jap first). Its 1.5 hours to touchdown, and would be landing slightly ahead of schedule. On the Chicago-Tokyo leg, we were initially stuck on the ground for like 2 hours, cos there was some maintenance problem with the air-con. And then they refueled to fly further south, which allowed them to reduce travel time slightly, though increase fuel consumption as they fly over water. We were flying over this snowy mountainous region which was so beautiful.

Perhaps I should stop reading reports about airplane crashes; like the recent one which had a highlighted maintenance problem with the engine but was sent off. Well, the thing I hate about airplanes is takeoff, landing and turbulence (Well, apart from the crammed seats that is). Nowadays, I try and sleep takeoff and landing away, which generally works. But the landing in Narita had quite a bit of turbulence (okay okay, very slight), but that still threw me off slightly. But I love taking off and landing in Singapore at night and seeing the citylights.

Well, mostly I have been too busy to blog. This past 10 weeks went by just like that. Not that it was slow or fast, but each day had its own set of tasks to do. Like Thurs and sometimes Tues/Weds would be devoted to algebra, while Sunday and Monday would be set aside for Topology. This quarter has also been quite a roller-coaster of emotions, with everything that has been happening. San Fran seems like barely a month ago, though its more like 3. But in a certain sense, this past quarter has been a quarter of growth and learning about myself, many thanks to the various parties involved. Let’s see what next quarter brings.

In the long term plan of things, I’m somewhat confused and lost. It’s more of I have no idea what’s the course of action that would make things work out. I have been lucky with various turn of events, but the element of luck is too finicky for me to work with. Airplane rides are also somewhat useful for thinking things through, since I’m stuck there with not much to do. When I get back, I have to do my OPT application, Tax forms, Optiver administrative stuff … Hmz, I should add Optiver as an actual word to Microsoft lol. Okie, added. The first two weeks should be somewhat hectic.

Next quarter, apart from my Algebra and Topology, would most prob be taking Game Theory, a second year Econ grad class. Which proves that I can always up the intensity of my courses from the previous quarter. It has been a mad 4 years, and I’m extremely thankful for my time here. When I look back, while I can’t pinpoint what it was that I exactly learnt (esp for algebra and topology lol), I know it has provided me with a way of approaching and thinking and dealing. I would be quite excited to see an application of Abstract Algebra in econs actually. Shmuel showed an interesting application of fundamental groups to the economic social choice function. He even has a paper on it which I should look through when I have the time/understanding.

Okie, my lappie declares that its time for me to stop blabbering, and so I will. See you again in a week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home