Reach for the stars

Thursday, February 05, 2009

A blast from 5 weeks ago

As you can tell, this post was written up a long time ago. Shrug.

Boo, and yes, once again I’m back in the air. Or rather, for now, I’m stuck on the ground in front of the gate for another 2 hours or so. Got here early, and have nothing else to do but rot. Hmz, I wonder if I would be willing to pay $5 for wireless internet. But guess not LOL. Besides, its too confusing to figure out Tmobile’s hotspot access and payment, so shall content myself with more dumping of thoughts. Of course, there is always the alternative of going to play some game (but being mouseless, it limits my possibilities) Now now, lets see …
SF
Was a great trip of relaxing. Came here for 4-5 days with Sibo and Ghee Chuan, where we roamed the city and such. Went clubbing in Castro on the first night, went to Chinatown twice for dimsum, watched Milk in Castro Theater, which was along the street that it was filmed. Watched doubt too, which was good, though I felt that they could have gone slightly further with the plot. Well, perhaps the intention was just that. Had a whole cracked crab seafood dinner, mmmm. I miss my seafood so LOL. Oh well, shall ask Ivan to steam fish at some point in time. Oh, and frascati too, however you spell it. It’s apparently a very popular restaurant, and it’s somewhat amazing that we managed to get seats when we went there, dressed as students do LOL.
After they left, met up with M who hosted me for a few days. Watched ‘A Christmas Carol’ at the ART Theater, which was (full of kids) and quite boring. Well, its not like much more can be done with the story of Uncle Scrooge. Sat next to an evolutionary biology major from Virginia, and one of my first questions was ‘So, is there a contradiction between evolution and biology?’ Haha, I need to curb my instinctive trouble-making nature. Went to big sur to see the coast, drove over golden gate bridge through muir woods, wehnt for more dimsum at yank sing, and generally just lazed around. Did a lot of tv watching (and need to redirect my hulu queue alerts to another email add). Apart from heroes, House, Bones, think I might be adding Legend of the Seeker to my list. It’s based on Terry Goodkind’s Sword of Truth series, which is very well written. Tofu freak is quite a big fan of it, but I’ve put it off due to the thickness of the books, and that its an uncompleted series. (Yes, I’m still irritated with Robert Jordan Wheel of Time). Slept on the couch, and can’t wait to get back to my bed.
Back to Chicago
Theres been a huge snowstorm in Chicago, and I’m wondering if that would affect my travel plans. Hopefully not, but one never knows. Gonna crawl back into my bed (after turning on the heat that is). Hmz, still have about 1.5 weeks left in Chicago before school starts. Will need to vacuum my room (with the Roomba of course), and clean up the place slightly. Shall attempt to watch Wicked, head to the art institute, shop with the ‘oh-we-didn’t-sell-enough-over-christmas/NYE’ sale, keep up with news again. Oh god, I think the Bush-Iraqi journalist-shoe incident is particularly hilarious. Oh, and possibly lose some SF weight too. I wonder how the markets would do over the next 2 weeks, given that its Christmas/NYE, and fewer people would be in the office (unless of cos, leave has been revoked)



Classes
Will be taking commutative algebra with Nori and differential topology (whatever that is) with Shmuel. Need a third course, which is likely to be Intro to Finance (assuming I can get into the class by scaring other people away). Oh, and my thesis … have yet to write up a plan for Grace/Lima, will be one of the first things I do when I get back. Oh well, might do that on the plane too, summarizing what I have from the powerpoint presentation, not like I did anything much more on it. Sigh. Too little time with too much to do. Also, I wanna be lazy HAHA. I think the proper compromise would be to contact Ali, and run the experiment, and leave it at that. It would be a good one-time experience in conducting an experiment, in order to obtain information that theory is unable to give an answer to.
Future
Well, this post seems to be very forward looking. However, I’m still uncertain about what the future holds for me, or even, what I want from it. I’m sure that there are lots of possibilities open for me, and it’s a matter of what I want to grab. To answer a long-ago posted question, I think that especially because I’ve seen what is available, I know that it is not exactly what I want, and thus would have to search for an alternative way. My long term goals are simple: To be happy. Of course, this begs the question, what does it mean to be happy? There would be several avenues of my life that has to be fulfilled, in terms of academic standards, living standards, achievements, balh blah. Being goal-oriented, I have to content myself with small steps that I can take first, and hope that they eventually lead to a big overall picture. At least I have seats on the airplane, and do not need to wait to be assigned a seat on the full flight, while watching first-class passengers board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home